So you want to be a more effective leader? Want to stop and think about how your leadership ability is shaping up? Here is a quick list that serves as a reminder to qualities you need to sharpen to help you stay on track. Self awareness is not included on this list, but if you were interested enough to read this, you are probably doing okay with this one.
1. Integrity – THIS IS A BIG ONE!! And it also requires that you have many other positive qualities to be able to demonstrate this one. Doing the right thing when it counts most and when it may not even be noticed. You do what is right for others, not with yourself in mind. You have the moral compass built in to your dashboard. You should never have to search for it, its always helping you navigate your way through LIFE.
2. Composed – You never panic. Others turn to you and see a quiet calm that is not only reassuring, but is quite contagious. Too often managers have only two modes – laissez faire and CODE RED!! Being composed does not mean you are indifferent to the world around you. It is that you remain level headed and have your mind in a state that allows you to make the best decisions when it counts most.
3. Responsive – not quite the same as one that only reacts to issues or problems. This is a trait that is seen in leaders that hear or see things that others do not. In your every day experiences, you challenge what you see and respond to a situation that others consider as being “just fine’. In other words, “status quo” is the root of all evil for the responsive leader.
4. Motivated – the great leader knows the hardest part of any project is getting started. Great leaders take the initiative to get things started and get things done! Their work also inspires others to get their hands dirty and get things done!
5. Humble – it’s just as important to know what you don’t know. Many managers are running around the office letting everyone know what their expertise is. I admire those that are running around learning from the expertise and experience of others.